Manuscript Fees and Submission Requirements
Novels, Novellas, Non-Fiction Books:
The fee to edit a book-length work varies depending on the number of pages and my assessment of the amount of time and effort necessary to guide you in making it a publishable manuscript. Generally, the cost falls in a range from $1500 to $2500. The fee may be negotiable if the writer shows potential and has a limited income.
Short Stories, Articles, Essays, Chapters: $95 per hour.
Mentoring: $95 per hour (negotiable, based on a free consultation). These are one-on-one sessions that involve teaching, editing, and discussions about craft, as well as the business aspects of writing.
See the Publications, Etc. Page for a list of my books, stories, clients, and other literary involvement.
- For longer works such as novels and books, I first request a few sample chapters to determine if I’ll be able to adequately help your writing. This initial review is free.
- Time spent on developmental editing typically falls within 5-15 pages per hour, depending on how much editing is necessary.
- Payment for services is done according to a fee schedule to which we have both agreed.
Submission Requirements and Suggestions:
- Electronic submissions in Word or Apple’s Pages required. This allows me to use the Comments and Track Changes functions. I generally use Comments to list thoughts and notes about a manuscript while I develop my overall evaluation, which is presented in a written essay form. Track Changes allows you to review all copyedits before accepting them. For hard copy submissions, edits are noted on the copy itself and you must manually input them.
- Double space all pages.
- Margins of at least 1 inch on all sides
- Standard font: 12 point Times or Times Roman. Please, no Courier!
- If you are submitting a full length work, a novel or novella, I will ask for a 20-30 page sample (preferably the opening pages), and conduct a free assessment, from which I can determine your needs and our ability to work together.