Dark Fiction, Fiction, Publishing, Self Publishing

The Face Maker, My First Collection of Stories, Is Available on Amazon

imageJust a quick blog this week to announce the next step in our local writers’ group’s venture into the self publishing world. Each of us has produced a book for sale to help show we have the skills and experience necessary to help writers publish their work. Mine is called The Face Maker and other stories of obsession, a collection of stories I’ve published in various literary journals over the past couple of years. The Kindle version is available on Amazon at (just click on the image), and the print version should be up in another day or so. Fair warning, it’s some of my darkest writing.

I’d say more, but had to make an unscheduled trip the emergency room this morning, so I’ll sign off before the drugs kick in.

34 thoughts on “The Face Maker, My First Collection of Stories, Is Available on Amazon

1. Congrats, Joe! That is so exciting. Your hard work is coming to fruition. Hope whatever took you to the ER isn’t serious and that you feel better quickly.

Posted by Meg LeDuc | June 29, 2013, 1:56 PM
    • Thanks, Meg. Just need to have some fluid drained from my elbow, so hopefully it won’t take much longer.

Posted by jpon | June 29, 2013, 4:26 PM
  2. Brilliant cover. I’ll be ordering the paper version as soon as it drops. (Because you can’t sign a Kindle.)
    Now…what’s this about the ER??

Posted by jonzech | June 29, 2013, 2:22 PM
    • Yeah, what HE said?! Hoping you”ll be okay….

Posted by fpdorchak | June 29, 2013, 3:54 PM
    • Believe it or not, six hours later and I am still in the ER. I developed a case of extreme tendinitis in my elbow. Amazingly painful, and after two days of it I finally had to seek help. Now I’m waiting for the docs to drain the fluid buildup.

Posted by jpon | June 29, 2013, 4:20 PM
      • So you were in terrible pain Thursday night? THAT explains why you were so harsh about my story! (Nah…despite it being called Genius and Perfect, it does need the kind of work you pointed out. Dammit.)

Posted by jonzech | June 29, 2013, 7:33 PM
  3. Congratulations, Joe. Just uploaded on my Kindle. Hope you feel better soon.

Posted by Darrelyn Saloom | June 29, 2013, 4:03 PM
    • I hope you enjoy it, Darrelyn. I run the risk of alienating my followers now that they have a chance to read my real work. Thanks for ordering a copy!

Posted by jpon | June 29, 2013, 4:23 PM
  4. Oh wow! Your news prompted me at last to navigate my iPad (a gift I was planning to use as an e-reader all along) and get up to speed on the Could. It works! A Saturday morning treat — and may your visit to the ER be nothing dreadful and perhaps another “dark story” or two down the road.

Posted by Claire Gebben | June 29, 2013, 4:40 PM
  5. So creepy! I’ll be adding your book to my collection, but after reading the excerpt, I have the feeling I should wait until my husband gets home before I dive in. I’m such a chicken…

Posted by Averil Dean | June 29, 2013, 6:15 PM
    • Oh, it’s not so bad–just some facial disfigurement, a few cold-blooded murders and cases of budding insanity. Not much different from cable TV, actually.

And a much more sincere thanks, too.

Posted by jpon | June 30, 2013, 12:29 PM
  6. Great cover, looking forward to reading it. I hope you feel better soon.

Posted by michellemorouse | June 29, 2013, 6:39 PM
    • Thanks, Michelle. The cover is a story in its own right. It’s actually a photo from the Smithsonian’s archives. They have an incredible resource online, and rights prices that are more than reasonable.

Posted by jpon | June 30, 2013, 12:31 PM
  7. Dear Joe, Yet another well-wisher here, congratulating you on having your book up on Amazon, and wondering if signing advance copies is what gave you the tendonitis! Just joking, but seriously, I hope you feel better, and as soon as I have a few more dollar bills kicking around, I’ll have to buy a print copy (the cover, as someone above already noted, is gorgeous).

Posted by shadowoperator | June 29, 2013, 7:11 PM
    • Thanks. Actually, as author I get a very good deal on printed copies. I’ll be saying thank you to the people who have followed and supported me on the blog. As soon as they’re ready I’ll email folks to ask for addresses.

Posted by jpon | June 30, 2013, 12:35 PM
      • What a generous thought! It also says to your public that you are full of ideas, not only for fiction, but also for ways to improve the writer’s climate and affect public opinion. Kudos on the whole thing.

Posted by shadowoperator | June 30, 2013, 1:27 PM
      • Full of something, at least. You have to live what you believe in.

Posted by jpon | June 30, 2013, 2:46 PM
  8. Joe, had a similar arrangement with an ankle last year — level 11 pain — I feel for you, man — but it’s an easy fix (you’ll be surprised), if it’s a similar issue — yes, it took months to recover, but the pain never got that bad again == as for the book, congrats . . . will check it out soon — goodluck!

Posted by whidbeystudents | June 29, 2013, 8:23 PM
    • Unfortunately it turned out to be something called pseudo-gout. One of the changes required is to cut back on alcohol– death sentence for a writer.

Posted by jpon | June 30, 2013, 12:36 PM
  9. Congrats, Joe. Hope it’s well received. Spooky cover, BTW. Hope the meds have kicked in.

Posted by miriamagosto | June 29, 2013, 9:03 PM
  10. Yay Joe! I am now the proud owner of your book on my iPhone, which means I’m going to be one of those “kids” you see on the sidewalk or in the park, reading a book on my phone!! I’m on board for this adventure of yours and can’t wait to see where and how it goes.

I hope the docs helped your elbow. I had tendonitis in my elbow a few years ago and it lasted almost 2 years — I couldn’t even pick up a coffee cup (it’s true Henry!) or open a door. Here’s to drugs and whatever treatments you get. Sometimes “treatment” involves vodka. I’m just sayin’,

Posted by Teri | June 29, 2013, 11:29 PM
    • Thanks, Teri. Hope you enjoy the read. It’s a real eye-opener to have to do everything one-handed. Mundane tasks like flossing, face washing and buttoning shirts become real challenges.

Posted by jpon | June 30, 2013, 12:43 PM
  11. (Right arm or left? It’s the right isn’t it? No chance it would be your less used arm.)

Posted by jonzech | June 30, 2013, 1:15 PM
    • Actually it is the left. I fractured it in high school playing football, and it’s been troublesome ever since. Maybe with enough book signings I can develop matching problems in the right.

Posted by jpon | June 30, 2013, 2:44 PM
  12. MAZEL TOV! I agree. Cover looks gorgeous. Will purchase and review. I’m so thrilled, as i LOVE your stories.

Posted by Stephanie Barbé Hammer | June 30, 2013, 4:27 PM
  13. That cover is amazing! Creepy and intriguing. And your darkest writing? I’m all in. Going to check it out now…

Posted by writemybrainsout | July 1, 2013, 12:22 PM
    • Thanks! The cover image is an actual facial artisan’s workshop during WWI. It’s from one of the Smithsonian’s photo collections. I was incredibly lucky to find it, and am indebted to the British university professor, Dr. Suzannah Biernoff, who connected me to the institution’s archives. Turns out they have a wonderful usage program, with thousands of images available for reasonable fees.

Posted by jpon | July 1, 2013, 12:30 PM