First, thanks to my friend Stephanie Barbé Hammer for nominating The Saturday Evening Post for a Versatile Blogger Award last week.
I checked this award out on the VBA site, and apparently if you are nominated, you are a winner. Sounded a little like a Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes, but I read on. As it turns out, there is no actual award (ah, so it really is like Publishers Clearinghouse), just recognition from one of your blogosphere peers.
In turn, I am now tasked to nominate 10 additional bloggers, whose sites I follow and respect. What we have here is basically an online chain letter, but one in which the result is not cash, but respect. Well in that case, the envelope please…
In no particular order, of course:
- Kelly Davio (smartest person I know, and also my boss at LAR)
- August McLaughlin’s Blog, (former star of stage and screen, now savoring the writing storm)
- The House of Sternberg, Stewart Sternberg (and you think I’m a curmudgeon)
- Averil Dean, (she of poetry, porn and petulance and “I just nailed a book deal” fame)
- The Circular Runner, Gabriel Cabrera (an existential journey)
- The Girl in the Hat, Anna Fonté (a hat, by the way, made of live crows)
- Abominations, Marc Shuster (now with 35% more ephemera!)
- The Wuc, real name unknown (a chick living in Australia, working for the man, who could write the rest of us under the table)
- Lori A. May (hardest working poet in the business)
- Thumbing Through, Ann Beman (because thumbs are damn funny)
Now the fun part: I am also asked to list seven things about me for the world to learn/judge/ridicule.
- I have been nominated as Poet Laureate for the Isle of Tonga, even though I don’t write poetry.
- I can throw a ball higher, straight up, than anyone I know.
- I can say the word “gluten” in nine different languages.
- Only one in a hundred thousand people can do a one-arm pull-up. I happen not to be one of them.
- While working my way through college, I held several of the following jobs: short order cook, rodeo clown, taxi driver, food taster, door-to-door shoe salesman, door-to-door door salesman (man was that samples case heavy), tattoo artist, butler, president of a major corporation.
- I drink wine through a straw.
- I once peed in a urinal next to Ralph Nader when he was running for president. (This one’s actually true. It was at the LA Times Bookfair.)
Only seven? I kind of wanted to do a few more.